Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New financing tools

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.”
Mahatma Gandhi

I hesitate to use a quote from one of the greatest people ever to grace planet earth, and certainly the question of how to structure early stage investment is a laughable cause as compared to the rights that Ghandi (also a lawyer) fought to advance.  That said, I think this quote accurately captures the life-cycle of creating a simple set of documents for early stage investment.

I’ve attached version 2.0 of the Series Seed Documents as well as a red-line showing the changes I’ve made from the original set.  If you peruse the red-line, you will see that there are not many changes.  That’s because there are not that many issues to negotiate in a simple equity financing.  Of course, one could argue, that I’m just not taking comments I disagree with (or that nobody cares enough to comment), but I am of the opinion that these documents represent the 95% consensus of what should be in a very basic set of equity financing documents.  Based on the comments received, both on the blog and in the many deals in which these documents have been used, I am convinced that the terms of a simple set of equity documents are really not an issue.  I don’t mean to say that the Series Seed are infallible, but there are no major objections to their content.

http://znacomstva.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-forms-of-startups-financing.html

No comments:

Post a Comment